logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Rob  
#1 Posted : 14 November 2014 15:41:39(UTC)
Rob

Groups: Registered

Can anyone point me in the right direction about how to claim the new Employers Allowance in QuickBooks for 2014-15?

Not claimed it yet but can a claim be backdated to the start of the 2014-15 tax year as I know it is only introduced and available from 6 April 2014 and not previous tax years.

Is it easy to claim? How to claim? would be useful please!

Thanks (if anyone can help with setting me right on the new Employers Allowance),

Rob
Sponsor
Offline QBFan  
#2 Posted : 14 November 2014 16:18:56(UTC)
QBFan

Groups: Registered

Hey Rob

Just happened to se your post mentioned on Twitter and had exactly this same issue myself last month so here is some information I think you will find helpful.

Firstly

... a link to Employment Allowance on the .gov website:

Secondly

... a link to how to claim it via QuickBooks desktop version:

Intuit's support post about how to claim Employer Allowance in QuickBooks.

This takes you through the process step by step.

Thirdly

Lots of FAQs are answered in the HMRC PDF guide about Employer Allowance.

One of your questions was can you, and how do you, backdate your Employer Allowance to previous months that you have already filed EPS reports to HMRC under RTI?

The HMRC PDF guide is quite useful and covered the following FAQs about Employment Allowance:

It gives more information on:

• National Insurance contributions (NICs) liability the Employment Allowance can be used against

• What to do if your payroll does not supply an Employer Payment Summary (EPS)

• What to do if you change your payroll software

• What to do if you have multiple PAYE schemes

• How and when to claim the Employment Allowance

• Moving your Employment Allowance to another PAYE scheme

• If you don’t use the full £2,000 Employment Allowance

• Claiming after the start of the tax year and for an earlier tax year

• Reporting

• Using the Employment Allowance against other PAYE liabilities

• What to do if you are no longer eligible to the Employment Allowance

• Record keeping and Penalties

So for example about claiming after the start of the tax year and backdating the claim HMRC state:

Quote:
Can I claim the Employment Allowance after the start of the tax year?

Yes, as long as your business or charity has employer Class 1 NICs liabilities and is eligible to claim the Employment Allowance.

Example:

You are claiming the Employment Allowance and have employer Class 1 NICs liabilities of £500 per month and other PAYE liabilities, (including
employee Class 1 NICs) of £800 per month.

You start claiming the allowance on 31 July (August will be the first month you can use the allowance against your employer Class 1 NICs liability).
If your claim had started at the beginning of the tax year 6 April (rather than July) your claim to date would be £1,500 (the total allowance that you could claim for May, June, and July).

Because you have not used any of your allowance in the previous 3 months, you are entitled to the full £2,000 Employment Allowance in August.
This amount is enough to cover your August employer Class 1 NICs and other PAYE liabilities and leave a balance of £700 (£2,000 minus £1,300) that you can use against your September employer Class 1 NICs liability, or (if you have not used the full amount) your PAYE liabilities.

If you make your claim at the end of the tax year, and you do not have enough PAYE liabilities remaining to use the Employment Allowance against, HMRC will use the balance against any PAYE debt or liabilities in the following tax year. If you do not have any existing PAYE debts or liabilities you can claim your allowance as a repayment.

And even...

Quote:
Can I claim the Employment Allowance for an earlier tax year?

Yes, you can make a claim up to 4 years (from the tax year 2014 to 2015 only) after the end of the tax year in which the allowance applies. For example, you want to make a claim for the Employment Allowance for the tax year 2014 to 2015. The tax year ends on the 5 April 2015, you must make your claim by the 5 April 2019.

You will need a separate EPS for each year’s claim.

If you send your claim one year after the tax year has ended, your claim will continue into the current tax year, unless you already have a claim for the Employment Allowance in place that year.

If you have paid your PAYE up to date, HMRC will set any Employment Allowance award against your future or existing PAYE liabilities, unless you ask them to refund the amount.

Remember you need to keep specific records of the Employment Allowance claimed in QuickBooks and records...

HMRC State:

Quote:
How long do I have to keep records for?

You must keep (any) records that relate to your claim, for a minimum period of 3 years after the end of the tax year in which you claimed the Employment Allowance. Your records must show:

• why you were entitled to claim the allowance

• how much allowance was used or in some circumstances repaid

• what liabilities the allowance covered

Hope that all helps Rob...

Best,

QBfan

Edited by moderator 14 November 2014 16:31:23(UTC)  | Reason: list number error correction